There are 3 special things that these Double Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies require. It sets them apart from the rest, yet, they are so easy to make! If you are looking for the very best oatmeal cookies, I promise you are going to LOVE this recipe! I’m always ready for some warm, gooey, and homemade cookies. Are you? Let’s do this!
Double Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
These delicious oatmeal chocolate chip cookies have JUST the right combination of crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. They have the amazing flavor of chocolate, oatmeal, and butter. Grab a cold glass of milk and enjoy! They are wonderful during the holiday season, for cookie exchanges, or as an afternoon snack any time of year.
The 3 special things that make these chocolate chip oatmeal cookies better than anything else is the butter vanilla extract. This stuff is addicting and you’ll find yourself making all your cookie and cake recipes with it in the future! The other unique thing about my Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies is that I use 2 kinds of chocolate chips: semi-sweet chocolate chips and white chocolate chips.
Have you tried famous 6-Minute Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies? They’ve gone viral on Facebook, TikTok, and Pinterest because everyone LOVES them. Find that recipe here. But back to this delicious Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe! They are soft & chewy and my kids love to taste test the dough.
How to Make Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Mix the wet ingredients together.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Add the oats and chocolate chips.
- Chill the cookie dough. This is optional but helps prevent the cookies from overspreading.
- Scoop cookie dough balls. Yes, these are LARGE!
- Bake. The cookies are done when the edges are set and the centers still look soft.
With oats, butter, and sugar, you are guaranteed a soft and chewy oatmeal cookie. Use this perfect oatmeal cookie as the base for other add-ins such as raisins, dried cranberries, and nuts. Cinnamon and a touch of molasses add that little something extra. These are the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookies!
Chocolate chip cookies are a household favorite, a timeless classic, an unparalleled snack, warm, cold, dunked in milk, in dough form, or in baked form. No one can resist the comfort of a homemade chocolate chip cookie. I’m confident you’ll fall in love with this chocolate chip cookie recipe too.
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Soft, chewy, loaded with chocolate, and they turn out perfectly every time! Totally irresistible! Oatmeal cookies, when done right, and by that, I mean soft, chewy, and not over-baked, are some of my favorites. The chewiness, the perfect hearty texture, the nuttiness of the oats, extra buttery flavor, and all the chocolate make these a wonderful favorite twist on a classic.
Once the cookies are baked, let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before removing them. I prefer to bake my oatmeal cookies for about 10 minutes or just until they’re set so they’re super soft. Be sure to dunk the warm cookies into an ice-cold glass of milk!
I originally published this recipe in 2015 and decided to update the photos in 2021. However, I’m keeping this photo of making these cookies with my kids from the original post. One thing I love about my blog, Smart School House, is that it’s a little time capsule of memories with my kids throughout the years. We no longer live in the home pictured, but we had so many great memories there.
More Delicious Cookies by Smart School House to Try Next:
You Will Need
- 1 3/4 cups of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1 1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 sticks of softened butter (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon of Butter Vanilla Extract (find near vanilla extract at the grocery store)
- 1 tablespoon of Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/2 cups of quick oats
- 1. 5 cups of white chocolate chips
- 1.5 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
Other Supplies Needed:
- Cookie baking sheets
- Parchment paper
- Cookie cooling rack
- 2 mixing bowls
- Electric hand mixer
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In one mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in one bowl.
- In a second mixing bowl, combine the butter, eggs, white sugar, brown sugar, butter vanilla extract, and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy
- Using an electric mixer, add the “dry ingredients” to the “wet ingredients’ (the egg, butter, and sugar mixture). This is best done in small sections with the electric mixer.
- Add in the quick oats and chocolate chips. Mix until fully combined.
- Place rounded spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper
- Cook for 9-10 minutes